6 Dec 2012

Guest post - The most wonderful time of the year

Well, Christmas comes closer and closer. And it’s snowing outside (in Munich anyway), the fire in the fireplace is burning and we listen to Christmas and winter songs on the radio. I love this season! I love baking cookies, I love strolling over the Christmas markets and I love watching Christmas movies. Yeah, this is the most wonderful time of the year! Oh, I forgot something: I love planning our dinner for Christmas. So this year I decided not to present a roasted duck as usually, but to cook an Asian Menu: Maybe Tom Yum Goong Soup as our starter, homemade spring rolls, an Indian Curry with Naan bread and Coconut Panna Cotta with Mango Pulp. My daughter and my son love Asian food as well - hot and spicy. And they die for Coconut Panna Cotta. So they always ask me to cook it for them. They will be very surprised to get it on Christmas evening. But....pssst.... don’t tell them.... it’s a secret...
And now I tell you my secret:

Coconut Panna Cotta with Mango Sauce



4    Sheets   gelatin
200  ml       coconut milk
250  ml       heavy cream
40   g        sugar   
1             vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
For the sauce
200  ml       mango pulp
1    tsp      lime zest
1    tbsp     lime juice
3    tbsp     coconut flakes

1. Heat the cream and coconut milk, add the sugar and a lengthwise sliced vanilla bean (and the scraped out vanilla seeds). Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and stir every now and then. Remove from the heat.

2. Then remove vanilla pod.
Meanwhile soak the sheets of gelatin in cold water (for about 10 min). Take the sheets out, and put them in add it to the cream/coconut mixture and stir thoroughly until fully combined.
Chill for at least 5 hours, better over night.

4. Mix mango pulp, lime juice and zests.
Brown lightly coconut flakes in anon-stick frying pan.

5. To unmold the panna cotta, briefly dip the form in hot water and carefully flip it over on a plate. Decorate with mango sauce.


Enjoy!
Kirsten 

1 comment:

Isabel said...

thanks for this delicious guest post :)